Sunday, May 27, 2012

Memorial Day Poppy Tribute

When my son asked if I was going to do a Memorial Day Tablescape - my original response was no, thinking that the true meaning of Memorial Day was to Honor those who have died in our nation's service. Sure it is the start of summer, picnics, hot dogs and some great funiture sales but I think we loose the real reason for the Holiday.  After a little research, I decided to go ahead with a Memorial Day table but using the Red Poppies as inspiration for my tribute to our fallen service men and women.


I am sure that many of you have read the poem "In Flanders Fields" by Leiutenant Colonel John McCrae in 1915. 
 But I went on to read of Moina Michael who replied with her own poem " We Shall Keep the Faith"  Here is just a small portion of the poem:

We Cherish too, the Poppy red
That grows on fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies
That blood of heroes never dies.

Ms. Michael was a professor at the University of Georgia and was the first to wear and sell poppies with the money going to benefit servicemen in need. 
 This custom would go on to spread to other countries and become a tradition for honoring our fallen patriots.

So here is my Memorial Day Poppy table:

I chose to do a simple table for breakfast before our Memorial Day Parade and Ceremony tomorrow morning.


I laid down a moss mat, and placed some hand made poppies around the simple white candles and cross for my centerpiece.
I hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day. 
 I am going out to hang up my American Flag now!

I have linked up to Tablescape Thursday @ Between Naps on the Porch
and Seasonal Sundays @ The Tablescaper
Ann @ Corner of Plaid and Paisley
Ann @ Corner of Plaid and Paisley

In the past few years my interests have grown from fabric to paper and now to dishes too! I just love prints, polkadots, plaids and paisleys- hence the blog name.

10 comments:

  1. I so love your pretty tablescape! Your dishes are beautiful and I like your napkin ring ties with the crosses. The poppies are just perfect!

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Aledia @ Plum Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! I remember those poppies, but I have not seen them in years. However, on Remembrance Day (our Veterans Day) in England, they still have them everywhere. My husband and I were fortunate enough to be there one year and it was quite moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poppy plates for your patriotic tablescape and love the ribbon tied for the napkin rings. Very appropriate centerpiece and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful table and a beautiful tribute to those who have shed their blood for our freedoms! Thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann, what a beautiful tablescape love the meaning behind it what a clever idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice! Can you tell me the company and pattern name for the poppy dishes you used in your tablescape? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, the poppy dishes are by 222 Fifth PTS International, they pattern is Alicia. I had purchased them at Marshalls years ago.

      Delete
  7. Would you be interested in selling your 222 fifth Alicia dining set?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post, and lovely table. Can you please tell me the pattern of the poppy plates? I have been looking for plates and these are the first ones I've really fallen in love with. Thanks. memjbrowning@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete